National City California History
Although National City is often characterized by its rich historical past, it is actually more than that. At the heart of all this is the most popular thing to do and see in the city of Los Angeles, which includes a variety of restaurants, bars, hotels, shops, cafes and restaurants. Not surprisingly, this has given rise to a distinctive personality that is present throughout the region, not only as a tourist destination, but also as a cultural centre.
Besides the streets below the surface, the National City also features a number of historic buildings, including the Los Angeles County Courthouse, the National Museum of Natural History and the San Fernando Valley Museum. The historic building on the corner of National Boulevard and National - City Blvd, once one of the most important landmarks in the city's history, still serves as a Highland Museum and an important cultural center for the city's inhabitants.
There is also an unincorporated area of San Diego County known as Lincoln Acres, which shares the 91950 ZIP code with National City. Although located in the unincorporated Los Angeles County region and not part of the city, LincolnAcres is located south of National Boulevard and National - City Blvd.
National City is bounded by National Boulevard, National - City Blvd. and National Avenue and is located in the Los Angeles County non-incorporated region of San Diego County. The National City's broader city boundaries include the city of La Jolla, San Bernardino County and the San Gabriel Valley, as well as the city of El Cajon.
National City is rich in history, and some of its sites are on the National Register of Historic Places in California. National City was introduced on the historic path of the SCEDC - in the map tour map as a must - visit historic city.
Most of the current area of the National City is occupied by a plant community composed mainly of drought-resistant shrubs. Padres called the land La Purisima Concepcion and it was used by the Mission San Diego Alcala in 1769. The soldiers of the San Diego Presidio wrested it from the mission so they could graze there, but it was Rancho for them.
After Mexico declared independence from Spain in 1810, California came under Mexican control. The ranch was renamed Rancho del Rey, meaning "Rancho of the Nation," to reflect the autonomy of a monarchy. When Mexico formed its own government in 1831, it was known as the Rancho de Nacion or National Ranch.
On February 21, 1866, President Andrew Johnson granted a US land patent and cited the name in the grant of the land patent. It was registered in the US Register of Land Patents, the first of its kind in the country and the only one in California.
The area, now known as National City, is part of the Kumeyaay Origin Area, which stretches from the San Joaquin Valley to the Sierra Nevada in the north and the Mojave Desert to California's Central Valley. The ranch covered much of what is now known as the "area," as well as parts of Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Ventura counties.
The Mexican government renamed it Rancho de nacion or "Rancho Ranch of the Nation" after independence from Spain in 1810. After California became US territory in 1848, people called it the National Ranch and it was officially incorporated as the National City.
In 1868, brothers Warren Kimball and Frank bought the entire Rancho and began to establish the city while maintaining the national name. Frank Kimballs offered a $10,000 grant to those who had not otherwise accepted the San Diego subsidy.
After much deliberation, it looked as if Santa Fe would accept the subsidy from San Diego County and build the railroad that would connect the east line with the soon-to-be-laid one. On September 2, 1872, representatives of the railways signed a contract to buy the quay and preserve 11,000 hectares of land, including a third of the National City. The newly completed Coronado Railroad, better known as the Belt Line, carried passengers from Coronsado northbound and headed for Barstow, California. In 1886, the first train left the NationalCity and was renamed Bar stow and later San Francisco, San Jose and San Bernardino Railroad.
The name Chula Vista was proposed by resident James D. Schulyer and adopted by the San Diego Land and Town Company. The Mexican government called the land Rancho de la Nacion, or Ranch of the Nation, before the Kimball brothers acquired it.
Frank Kimball was also instrumental in bringing the Santa Fe Railroad to San Diego and giving many people jobs to smooth the national highway to the border. Many people were stuck in the National City and he gave them work to calm the situation. He was the first president of the US Army Corps of Engineers, built in 1882, and an officer in the California National Guard.